Left untreated, poor posture can lead to serious complications involving your circulation and digestion, and immense pain in your back, neck, and shoulders. Fixing your posture can help ease this pain and save you from long-term health issues. Making a change right now can improve your quality of life for the future.
Taking a few minutes per day to do some easy stretches can develop your flexibility, strength, and balance. This will put less stress on your muscles and your spine.
One great exercise is the chest opener, which helps you stretch your chest. If you spend a lot of the day sitting, this can be very helpful. To perform this stretch:
- Stand with your feet about hip-width apart.
- Bring your arms behind you and interlace your fingers with your palms pressing together.
- Keep your head, neck, and spine in one line as look straight ahead.
- Inhale as you lift your chest toward the ceiling and bring your hands toward the floor.
- Breathe deeply as you hold this pose for 5 breaths.
- Release for a few breaths.
- Repeat at least 10 times.
Visit a Chiropractor in Ann Arbor for Help with Poor Posture
If you have poor posture because of pain in your neck, shoulders, or upper back, it could be a sign of a larger, underlying problem.
Seeing a chiropractor can help! A specific structural chiropractor can diagnose and correct the cause of your pain, not just the symptoms, giving you longer lasting relief.